Cherry pie is a classic dessert that is loved by many. It consists of a sweet, flaky crust filled with juicy, tart cherries that are baked to perfection. It’s a perfect treat for any occasion, from family dinners to holiday gatherings. A slice of warm cherry pie served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is the ultimate comfort food. It’s also a great way to showcase fresh, seasonal fruit, making it a popular choice during the summer months.
- 2 pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, almond extract, and salt until well combined.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim any excess dough from the edges.
- Pour the cherry mixture into the pie crust.
- Roll out the second pie crust and cut it into thin strips. Arrange the strips on top of the cherry filling in a lattice pattern.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of the crust and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
Enjoy your homemade cherry pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!