This one-pot paella is a classic Spanish dish that’s perfect for entertaining or a special dinner at home. The flavorful combination of chicken, shrimp, chorizo, and saffron-infused rice is sure to impress your guests and satisfy your cravings for bold, spicy flavors.
Serves 4-6 people.
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 oz Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups short-grain Spanish rice (such as Arborio or Valencia)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- In a large pot or paella pan, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Add the chorizo sausage to the pot and cook for another 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers to the pot and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir well to coat it in the oil and juices.
- Add the chicken broth, saffron threads, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the shrimp to the pot and stir well to combine. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve the paella hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.