Spaghetti Bolognese is a classic Italian dish that has become popular all over the world. It consists of spaghetti noodles served with a rich and flavorful meat sauce made with minced beef, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a variety of herbs and spices. The dish is hearty, satisfying, and easy to make, which is why it has become a staple in many households. Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner or entertaining guests, spaghetti Bolognese is a crowd-pleaser that never fails to deliver on taste and comfort.
Serves 4 people.
- 400g spaghetti
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 400g diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Olive oil
- Start by boiling a large pot of salted water for the spaghetti. Once the water is boiling, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the minced beef to the pan and cook for another 5-7 minutes, breaking up any large chunks of meat.
- Once the meat is browned, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock cube, oregano, and basil to the pan. Stir well to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the sauce simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened and the flavors have melded together.
- To serve, divide the cooked spaghetti among four plates and top with the Bolognese sauce. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley if desired.